Thursday, December 09, 2010

OpenBSD NC4200: iwi wireless with kismet.

I still can't use dstumbler properly with my wireless lan. It's been quite some time since I play around with OpenBSD and wireless LAN so I was a bit lost then. By doing man iwi I know that my iwi0 wireless device will not function properly unless I install iwi-firmware-3.1.tgz which can be downloaded from the link contained inside the man page.

Installing the file is the same as any other packages. I just do pkg_add iwi-firmware-3.1.tgz and then the file is installed. I also installed kismet-200805R1p0.tgz. After kismet is installed, I edited /etc/kismet/kismet.conf. Changes I made is:

suiduser=karl
source=radiotap_bsd_b,iwi0,radiotap_bsd_b
gps=false


I left all the other options to default. Don't want to go crazy over configurations I don't know. Then I chown /var/log/kismet so I can run kismet properly. Then, sudo to run kismet.

sudo kismet

kismet then bring iwi0 up and started scanning for any access point. Great. Will try to figure out anything about dstumbler. Again. Later.

No comments:

6.5 amd64: Modify existing certbot certificates.

Hi, It's been quite some time eh. As you can see, I still upgrade my OpenBSD system regularly but currently I do not have the time to ...