Wednesday, May 25, 2011

OpenBSD NC4200: Burning DVD using USB DVD-RW.

Ahh, My anime is screaming to be put into a DVD as my disk is nearly full. So I have an idea to write an entry for this blog-o-mine. Writing DVDs.

My laptop doesn't have optical drive built in. So I'm using the USB DVD-RW drive. The dmesg for the usb drive is:

umass0 at uhub0 port 3 configuration 1 interface 0 "Hewlett Packard USB Multibay IDE 2.466" rev 2.00/2.46 addr 3
umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
scsibus0 at umass0: 2 targets, initiator 0
cd0 at scsibus0 targ 1 lun 0: SCSI0 5/cdrom removable


As for the software needed, the minimum is:

cdrtools-2.01p1
dvd+rw-tools-7.0p0


cdrtools contains mkisofs for writing CDs and dvd+rw-tools contains growisofs for writing DVDs. To ease my DVD burning project, I also installed:

tkdvd-4.0.9p0

Basically for DVD writing, growisofs is quite the standard for it. It's command line so customization is great. But I'm using TkDVD which is "a GUI for dvd+rw-tools and cdrecord/cdrkit. It allows burning DVD+R/RW, -R/RW, and CD-R/RW discs easily.". But while using the program, you can still see the command line it's using to burn the DVD.

First, I make sure that my user is in the operator group.

In /etc/fstab, mounting the drive would be using /dev/cd0a, but for writing disk it is /dev/rcd0c. By default, the /dev/rcd0c is set to crw------- which is Read/Write for root only. So I need to allow operator group to read/write the device.

# sudo chmod g+rw /dev/rcd0c

So now the operator group can write to the device. Now to perform the burning. I inserted the DVD disc, no need to mount anything. Then fire up TkDVD.

TkDVD's gui will appear, which is very user friendly. I left all of the options intact except for the DVD size. Choosing all the *.mkv and *.ogm files I wanted to burn, I make sure the Burning device: is set to /dev/rcd0c. Then I write the Volume name: to the name of the disc I want it to be known and hit the Burn button. I can also review the command TkDVD is using to burn my DVD in Command: field. Writing initiated and when it's done your DVD disc will be ejected. Easy! Later then.

No comments:

6.5 amd64: Modify existing certbot certificates.

Hi, It's been quite some time eh. As you can see, I still upgrade my OpenBSD system regularly but currently I do not have the time to ...