Wednesday, April 15, 2009

OpenBSD NC4000: wmii is running fine.

I've done installing wmii window manager. I can say that it's neat and clean. First I created .xinitrc file in my home folder. Easiest way is to type vi .xinitrc inside your home folder. Then just type:

exec wmii

Then save it and close vi. After that type xinit in the shell and wallah! wmii greets me. There's a wmii message displaying the basic of working with wmii. As I know a bit about working with vi and vim, working with wmii is not that hard. It uses [H],[J],[K],[L] keys for direction instead of UP,DOWN,LEFT,RIGHT keys. wmii uses [Alt] as the default mod key. I read that I can change that with other key and even the Windows key. That'll be great. I'll update on that later.

So wmii is ok, now to make my OpenBSD boots directly to X and uses graphical login. I sued to root and vi /etc/rc.conf. All I need is to change this part:

xdm_flags=NO

to

xdm_flags=""

and save it. I do a shutdown -r now in the shell and after the laptop reboots, I'm greeted with graphical login with a picture of Puffy on the side. I logged in and .. fvwm greets me. Uh. Drats. I forgot something.

I then quit X, do vi .xsession (create that file) inside my home folder and add this line:

wmii

That's it. Restarted again, went through the xdm login and wmii initiated. Sweet. More on my learning with wmii later!

No comments:

6.5 amd64: Modify existing certbot certificates.

Hi, It's been quite some time eh. As you can see, I still upgrade my OpenBSD system regularly but currently I do not have the time to ...