Saturday, July 12, 2014

5.5 amd64 X200: Firefox always crashing? Then try raising datasize.

Heyya,

My Firefox crashed sometime. Been like this since forever I think. Didn't bother to look at it until a few days ago when I think "hey I commonly sees this crashing but why other didn't flame the net about it?". So I went out to search for answers.

Then I found that this is not application or OpenBSD issue, but rather limited default setting. Firefox is quite a resource hog and by default, the datasize limit is set for 512Mb, which is by Firefox, quite low.

So I edited /etc/login.conf and find the default setting like below:

default:\
    *snipped*
    :datasize-max=512M:\
    :datasize-cur=512M:\
    *snipped*

and changed the value to:

default:\
    *snipped*
    :datasize-max=2048M:\
    :datasize-cur=1024M:\
    *snipped*

As I have about 4Gb of ram, this setting should be ok. So far this setting is ok and Firefox haven't crashed yet. Later.

References:

- man login.conf
- http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=7894

No comments:

6.5 amd64: Modify existing certbot certificates.

Hi, It's been quite some time eh. As you can see, I still upgrade my OpenBSD system regularly but currently I do not have the time to ...