Wednesday, November 10, 2010

OpenBSD NC4200: Printing with CUPS.

As my OpenBSD is now my primary OS for work (not that my office requires it), I really need to be able to print anything. Related CUPS packages that's installed is:

cups-1.4.4p1
gtk+2-cups-2.20.1
xfprint-4.6.1p5

Using tips from http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2009/01/openbsd-tip-speed-up-boot-time.html, I edited /etc/rc.local and put:

# Add your local startup actions here.

if [ -x /usr/local/sbin/cupsd ]; then
echo -n ' cupsd'; /usr/local/sbin/cupsd &
fi

echo '.'


and from XFCE Menu > Settings > Xfce 4 Printing System Setting, I choose CUPS as my Printing System.

Then I go to XFCE Meny > System > Manage Printing which will open up http://localhost:631/, the CUPS Management page. From there, I go to CUPS For Administrators > Adding Printers And Classes. It'll go to another page which then I choose Printer > Add Printer. Then I can see all network printers which has been detected! Great! I choose my printer, click Continue, change the printer's Name/Description/Location and click Continue. Then I choose Generic Make as there's no driver available for my printer. After that I choose Generic PCL Laser Printer (en) for the model. A few more setups and the printer is added. I tried printing the summary page from Firefox and it's successful!. Wow. I never thought that it'll be this easy. Later.

No comments:

6.5 amd64: Modify existing certbot certificates.

Hi, It's been quite some time eh. As you can see, I still upgrade my OpenBSD system regularly but currently I do not have the time to ...