Monday, November 03, 2014

5.6 AMD64 X200: Update to 5.6! Package update problem and pkg_check to the rescue.

Hi,

I updated my X200 lappy to 5.6 today using the trusted upgrade using USB thumbdrive method. Upgrading went smooth until I done upgrading my packages.

Well, "done" isn't the correct word. I exited the pkg_add -u while it was updating my packages and I should've known that it will haunt me sooner or later. I re-run the pkg_add -u without realising that previous update wasn't done correctly. So I paid the price when I saw that GIMP, LibreOffice and GTK+2 can't be updated due to some libraries error. Something like:

Can't install gtk+2-2.24.24 because of libraries
| avahi-client.0.0 not found
| bla bla not found

Oh my. So what do I need to do now? The answer is:

pkg_check

This neat command checks the packages, dependencies and lots more. It's kind of interactive, so it will ask if problematic packages needs to be repaired or not, or like what I choose, [a]utomatic answer. Then it will do its job. And it does it well.

After it's done, I re-run pkg_add -u and all is ok. All updated correctly. Wallah!

No comments:

6.5 amd64: Modify existing certbot certificates.

Hi, It's been quite some time eh. As you can see, I still upgrade my OpenBSD system regularly but currently I do not have the time to ...