Monday, November 08, 2004

5.2.1 usin TMNet Streamyx (ADSL)

Yeah, you read it right. My FreeBSD box is now officially online! My 5.2.1 is connected usin TMNet Streamyx basic 512Kbps. The ADSL modem is a cheap ZTE ZXDSL 831 modem (hey, I registered the RM88/month with free modem RM75 waiver promotion so that's why I didn't get the better Aztech dsl modem) connected to my Clevo clone usin Cat5. I'll post the steps I took on makin my 5.2.1 use TMNet Streamyx and there's somethin funny in between I'll share.

Step 1: edit / create /etc/ppp/ppp.conf . Here's my workin version of the file. Take note that I'm still searchin fer the optimum configuration.

# /etc/ppp/ppp.conf start
#################################################################
# PPP Sample Configuration File
# Originally written by Toshiharu OHNO
# Simplified 5/14/1999 by wself@cdrom.com
#
# See /usr/share/examples/ppp/ for some examples
#
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/ppp/ppp.conf,v 1.8 2001/06/21 15:42:26 brian Exp $
#################################################################

default:
set timeout 0 #Change to 0 if no timeout desired

streamyx:
#the device your modem is connected to
set device PPPoE:rl0:

#line quality reporting, allows auto reconnects
enable lqr
enable dns

# sets nutty ISP mtus. These numbers may vary.
set mru 1492
set mtu 1492

set speed sync
set dial
set login
set timeout 0
disable ipv6cp # disable ipv6 requests

#username and password here
set authname YOURIDENT@streamyx
set authkey YOURPASSWORD

#don't worry about this bit here :)
set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0

#adds a default route to the IP ISP give you
add default HISADDR

#allow unlimited amount of redials
set redial 0 0
#################################################################

# /etc/ppp/ppp.conf end

Note that you'll have to change YOURIDENT@streamyx to your streamyx's account id and YOURPASSWORD to your streamyx's password.Do make sure that your have set your correct NIC device in set device PPPoE:: as mine is using rl0. Try usin ifconfig -lu and pick the one except lo0 (loopback device) and tun0 (tunnelin? device).

Step 2: edit /etc/rc.conf . Here's what I found important fer my streamyx to work. You'll have to add the line(s) into the existin /etc/rc.conf file.

hostname="YOURMACHINE.YOURDOMAIN.org"
ifconfig_rl0="inet 192.168.0.9 netmask 255.255.255.0"
network_interfaces="rl0 lo0 tun0"
ppp_enable="YES"
ppp_mode="ddial"
ppp_nat="YES"
ppp_profile="streamyx"
gateway_enable="YES"
router_enable="NO"


Note that you'll have to change YOURMACHINE.YOURDOMAIN to your configuration. Now to test your connection. Let's use interactive ppp. Make sure you're sued to root. Normal user have to join the network group before ppp is allowed.

vampire# ppp
Working in interactive mode
Using interface: tun0
ppp ON vampire> dial streamyx
Ppp ON vampire>
PPp ON vampire>
PPP ON vampire>


Hurrah! Your id & password is correct and you're now officially online! Like me. Now try ping somethin like www.freebsd.org but do keep it brief because we won't want to start ping floodin the server. That's a no no. If the ping is replied then you're good to go. Next, try browsin the net usin links or lynx and if it's workin, enjoy!

Speakin of pingin. I made a silly mistake yesterday. I tried to ping 202.188.0.132 (TMNet 1515 customer should be familiar with this ip) and there was no reply so I thought my connection failed. There was also an error msg:

Warning: Add route failed: 0.0.0.0/0 already exists

and made me believe that my connection didn't work. Until now, when I tried pingin www.yahoo.com and yahoo replied. Drats. The connection was ok all along.

No comments:

6.5 amd64: Modify existing certbot certificates.

Hi, It's been quite some time eh. As you can see, I still upgrade my OpenBSD system regularly but currently I do not have the time to ...