Tuesday, March 13, 2007

G770i: FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE trial installation started.

Ok. My buddy just sent me another PII 266Mhz processor, the 2 missing hot-swap module, 2 9.1Gb Maxtor SCSI hard disk and 2 pieces of 256Mb ECC Server RAM module. Tried booting the server and it's all ok. Looks like the missing hot-swap module was the culprit. So now the G770i is a dual-processor server. Tried the new RAM my buddy gave me but seems like it has a problem. From the document I have, I assume the current BIOS can only manage to have a maximum of 128Mb RAM per DIMM. But then both of the new RAMs might be kaput so I might be wrong. Will update on that later.

So my trial installation is already under progress. Not without any hiccup though. My FreeBSD CD is at my foster brother's house and I forgot to bring it back yesterday. So no installation from CD fer me today. Tried another alternative, installation from floppies but I only manage to get 2 darn floppy after hours of searching in this whole place. Bah! And only a single floppy is working. No CD, and just a single floppy. Yeah sure. What should I do?

I have a solution, in theory as per yet. I have a 6.2-RELEASE ISO (CD image) here in this current pc I'm using. So I use DAEMON tool, a cd emulator to load the ISO file and after a brief searching through google, I found Cerberus FTP Server which is free fer personal use. My solution? Make this current pc I'm writing this blog with as an FTP server to serve the FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE ISO through the LAN. Yeah, use the floppy to load the boot.flp, kern1.flp, kern2.flp & kern3.flp images into the G770i server and continue the installation using the FTP method. Brilliant huh? :D. Yeah well it's not proven yet.

I'll try to write a simple walkthrough later fer my homepage so keep on checking if you're interested. Gotta go back to the installation, I sense the only working floppy I have left is dying. ARGHH! Later.

Breaking News: The last floppy died horribly just now. Leaving yet another mess to remember. As we pay a last respect to the anonymous floppy, the memories will always remain with us. Urghhh I need another darn floppy...

No comments:

6.5 amd64: Modify existing certbot certificates.

Hi, It's been quite some time eh. As you can see, I still upgrade my OpenBSD system regularly but currently I do not have the time to ...