Monday, July 28, 2008

RDX200: FreeBSD 7.0 AMD64 installation is ok and running.

Latest news. FreeBSD 7.0 AMD64 installation went smoothly. It's been quite some time since I installed FreeBSD so it's like re-living the memories. I found out that I can't use my previous partition scheme because root folder "/" is not big enough. So I learnt something new here. Fer FreeBSD my partition scheme is:

/ = 500M
swap = 512M (Although automatically installation defaulted to more than 800M)
/tmp = 512M
/var = 1Gb
/usr = rest

Fer OpenBSD, I made root "/" with only 128M with no problem. I've adjusted the space so that fer next OpenBSD installation, the "/" will have 256M space. Just in case.

Installation was ok. I installed only the base system, just to test it out. I downloaded 4 iso (you got me right. 4!) and tried to make a bootable dvd using nero but failed miserably. I know there's tutorial out there on how to make FreeBSD dvds, but I can't find one using Nero. Only mkisofs. I can boot the dvd but it can't find the kernel to boot the installation. So it's a failure.

Back to the topic. After the installation, FreeBSD booted flawlessly. No problem whatsoever. So I guess there must be a hardware somewhere making trouble on my OpenBSD installation. My vote is on the faulty NIC. I'll try another OpenBSD shot later.

No comments:

6.5 amd64: Modify existing certbot certificates.

Hi, It's been quite some time eh. As you can see, I still upgrade my OpenBSD system regularly but currently I do not have the time to ...