Tuesday, December 21, 2010

OpenBSD NC4200: Playing with scrotwm.

Yes I'm looking for another tiling window manager. Then I saw scrotwm. I installed the scrotwm package and edited my ~/.xsession. Take note that I'm using xdm with dialog to choose window manager to load.

managers=scrotwm,wmii,xfce4,fvwm
*ugly bits ignored*
case $manager in
scrotwm)
xscreensaver -no-splash &
nohup sh ~/davmail/davmail.sh ~/davmail/davmail.properties &
eval `cat ~/.fehbg`
exec scrotwm
;;
*ugly bits ignored*


Then scrotwm loads. My opinion, scrotwm is FAST!. Usually I can notice a bit of lag when switching between workspaces (Mod+Num) in wmii but in scrotwm, the speed is excellent. Not to mention that the configuration is very easy. So, I created my personal scrotwm config file ~/.scrotwm.conf:

# My scrotwm config
# Change modkey to Mod4 (Windows key)
modkey = Mod4

# Programs
program[lock] = xscreensaver-command -activate

# Key Bindings
bind[lock] = Control+Mod1+Delete
bind[swap_main] = MOD+Shift+Return
bind[spawn_term] = MOD+Return


Basically this is the essential stuff I'm used to do with wmii. In scrotwm, pressing Mod+Return will not open xterm but it will swap between open apps. So I changed that one. After I done editing the config file, pressing Mod(windows key)+Q will restart scrotwm and changes got applied. Very nice. The only thing I don't like about scrotwm is that the title bar have eye-bleeding-font but that's not something that cannot be changed. Also by default, there's no indicator on how many active workspace I have opened. In wmii, there will be numerical indicator on the active workspace. I've only been using scrotwm for less than 10 minutes so I know there's much more to discover. I have a feeling this will be my fav wm as speed is essential to me. Not forgetting that scrotwm was coded in OpenBSD by OpenBSD developers. Later.

No comments:

6.5 amd64: Modify existing certbot certificates.

Hi, It's been quite some time eh. As you can see, I still upgrade my OpenBSD system regularly but currently I do not have the time to ...