Wednesday, March 14, 2012

5.1 amd64 K43U: Updated BIOS to 2.20 and found some issues.

Hi,

I updated my K43U's BIOS 2 days ago to version 2.20 from previous version 2.17. Then I noticed something. I'm not sure this is related to me updating the BIOS but for sure, I noticed this issue after updating the BIOS.

Sometime the speaker will not function. Result of mixerctl will show that the speaker is not muted and if I attach a headphone, mixerctl will update accordingly - headphone works and detaching the headphone will result in still no sound coming out from the speaker. Rebooting will result in the same issue unless I opt for shutting down, then boot the machine. In Win7 the speaker is working fine with no issue so this might not be a BIOS update issue.

I also notice that this machine's Multicard Reader will sometime be detected and sometime not. If you refer to my dmesg, there no card reader detected but sometime I can see this dmesg result added:

umass0 at uhub0 port 5 configuration 1 interface 0 "Generic USB2.0-CRW" rev 2.00/38.82 addr 3
umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
scsibus1 at umass0: 2 targets, initiator 0
sd1 at scsibus1 targ 1 lun 0: SCSI0 0/direct removable serial.0bda0138516388200000


To make it ever more weirder, when Multi-Card is detected, the speaker will have no problem. Eh. But then I never tested the Card Reader in either OpenBSD or Win7 so I don't know if it's faulty or what. My machine have 2 years warranty so I better make sure.

UPDATE 14/03/12: I found that my Realtek MultiCard Reader is not working. Even in Win7. So I better send the machine to Asus Service Center ASAP.

Later.

No comments:

6.5 amd64: Modify existing certbot certificates.

Hi, It's been quite some time eh. As you can see, I still upgrade my OpenBSD system regularly but currently I do not have the time to ...