Tuesday, February 01, 2005

New 5.3-RELEASE installation

After a long while, I've just finish doin a fresh installation of 5.3-R on my D270S. If I recall correctly, this is my 4th installation exercise after I wrote bout FreeBSD here and in my homepage. My newest installation is very minimal with just a few package chosen and even without X. This is what I remember:

Base
CompatX-X
Doc
Man
/usr/src/sys


Why no X? I guess I just wanna learn and have fun playin with just a minimum FreeBSD installation. I guess I wanna let meself be more comfortable with console (command-line) environment.

Custom kernel has been compiled and by the looks of it, it's charmin. I used the last VAMKERNEL config file taken from my 5.2.1 installation (still have it in my homepage.) with some new 5.3-R specific addition like:

# Sound device fer my D270S
device sound
device "snd_ich"


I still havent test out the sound yet but it'll be soon.

VESA has been compiled into the custom kernel and it's workin like a charm.

PPPoE has been configured and it's workin. Still havent test out the auto dial (usin /etc/rc.conf) yet because I just boot to XP from 5.3-R just now (to write this blog :). I used my 5.2.1 ppp.conf as a reference.

Things that I want which is still incomplete:
1. Personalise the normal user (zsh shell, add into other groups etc.)
2. Edit /etc/fstab so that I can mount the NTFS and Fat32 partition from 5.3.
3. Make acd0 (CDRW Drive) and fd0 (Floppy Drive) user-rewritable.
4. Add some usefull package like screen, Midnight Commander, a console mp3 player + sound mixer and other I can think of.
5. Rewrite the Run FreeBSD, Run section in my homepage which I've been delayin fer quite a long time now. The new format is up in my head now.
6. Upload all the important 5.3-R configuration files to my homepage.

I just found out that links can be set to display color. While in links, press [Esc] and top bar with some options will be displayed. The settin is there somewhere but I can't recall the exact option(s). I'll write bout it later.

Amazingly, after I've done reinstallin 5.3 and when I log in XP, my XP starts to display BSoD with an error message sayin somethin bout wspdrvnt.sys (or somethin) havin a page fault bla bla bla. After I log in usin Safe Mode, I found out that Sygate Personal Firewall has gone wacko and after I reinstalled it, XP was ok. Hmm, weird.

How to view pictures or movie in console huh? I'll try to find out the answer later. I need to sleep..

No comments:

6.5 amd64: Modify existing certbot certificates.

Hi, It's been quite some time eh. As you can see, I still upgrade my OpenBSD system regularly but currently I do not have the time to ...