Wednesday, March 14, 2007

G770i: FreeBSD 6.2-R installed, now fer post-installations.

One thing to remember, next time I'm installing FreeBSD using ftp, make sure not to get greedy and picking lots of distributions.

Why? Because I've started installing 6.2-R a few minutes after my previous post and the installation was done this morning around 2. This is my 1st time doing a floppy - ftp installation so it's not all bad. Now I have a new experience.

The installation went fine. Can't find any Compat options now, I guess one of the new features of 6x. The options to configure X has also been removed from sysinstall. As always, I've chosen linux compatibility. X windows (X.org) is installed too but still unconfigured.

Ah. I fergot to tell about the purpose of this installation. This G770i will be primarily a NAS (Network Attached Storage) server. And it will be my main FreeBSD machine. So expect this server to change more like a workstation pc. Hardware upgrades I'm considering is:

1. PCI vga card, preferably a Matrox because the drivers fer FreeBSD is a lot.
2. PCI SCSI Raid card, thinking about a 3-channel Mylex card. Still Eyeing fer bargains.
3. Bigger SCSI hard disks, probably starting with 3 disks with Raid 5 then eventually filling the modules up. As this will be a NAS server, storage is a priority.
4. Filling the RAM to 512Mb.

Installation is done and 6.2-R booted without a glitch. No panic whatsoever. I'd post the hardware probe result but the server is still basically not configured in any way. So now I'm getting to the configurations, starting with building a new kernel. Later.

No comments:

6.5 amd64: Modify existing certbot certificates.

Hi, It's been quite some time eh. As you can see, I still upgrade my OpenBSD system regularly but currently I do not have the time to ...