Thursday, August 05, 2004

Nearly successful but worsen.

Still about the KDE error. I tried somethin today. KDM is still disabled so I was greeted with console. I log in usin root.

vampire# cd /
vampire# mkdir backup


I go to root folder "/" and create a directory named "backup".

vampire# cd /usr/home
vampire# mv Alsemo /backup/Alsemo


Here is where I move (mv) my Alsemo's directory to the newly created "backup" directory.

vampire# rmuser Alsemo

This is the command fer deletin my Alsemo user from FreeBSD system. It's interactive with some questionaire on option to remove home directory etc so I just choose yes to all.

vampire# adduser

This is the command fer creatin a new user. I create the Alsemo account again and follow the interactive questionaire provided.

When it's done, I log out from root and log in usin Alsemo. Issuin Startx take me into KDE but all my settings is lost (temporarily, remember the "/backup/Alsemo" directory?). So basically, Alsemo's KDE session is saved fer now. Thinkin bout restorin the /backup/Alsemo folder into /usr/home/ again, I log out and log in usin root. The catch? My root's KDE crash! Now my recently OK KDE under root crash. But it's ok I guess, so usin console, I went on restorin my Alsemo's home directory.

vampire# cd /usr/home
vampire# rm -R Alsemo


So now the Alsemo directory is gone.

vampire# cd /backup
vampire# mv Alsemo /usr/home/Alsemo


And the old Alsemo directory is successfully restored. Now on to test if KDE can work. root log out and Alsemo log in. The result? KDE still crash. And like I've stated above, now both root and Alsemo can't get into KDE. *sigh*. I'm thinkin bout doin fresh install ASAP. Can't wait fer 5.3. I'm currently layin out some important details like kernel config, partition layout etc fer the next installation. Mind you though that FreeBSD is still fine and healthy here, it's just that KDE gone wacko and as I'm a newbie (damn proud!) plus eye candies sucker, KDE is important to me.

My next installation should be the real deal. Optimizin the installation and gettin FreeBSD to run as long as I live. My current experience has teached me a lot regardin how to make the best possible FreeBSD installation fer my Clevo M22ES so fresh install is a must. My current 5.2.1 installation is just a test bed fer this upcomin fresh install. Some thing I'm keepin in mind:

1. Install FreeBSD + KDE
no sshd and any other server-type daemon (laptop doesn't need that). Currently my machine is kinda bloated with stuff my laptop doesn't use so the next will be more optimized.
2. Recompile new kernel with:
SMP disable (no multi processor here). There are some other option(s) I'm still learnin right now. My kernel is currently bloated too with things my Clevo don't use and I kinda have a few hints on the most suitable kernel config fer my next installation
3. Enjoy it.

I'm still thinkin bout IPv6. Mebbe I'll just enable it. My homepage detail on FreeBSD 5.2.1 will also be replace with a new walkthrough once I started doin the next fresh install.

No comments:

6.5 amd64: Modify existing certbot certificates.

Hi, It's been quite some time eh. As you can see, I still upgrade my OpenBSD system regularly but currently I do not have the time to ...