Sunday, August 08, 2004

Tweak the console.

Heyya, I just found out somethin related to FreeBSD console while I was readin vidcontrol, syscons, rc.conf and vga man pages.

I add this lines to the kernel configuration file - VAMKERNEL:

options VESA
options SC_PIXEL_MODE


and recompile the kernel. Then I added these lines into /etc/rc.conf:

allscreens_flags="-g 100x37 VESA_800x600"

After I rebooted, the console screen is much nicer with high resolution of 800x600 pixel even after KDE exit! Yay! No more garbled screen after loggin out of X! Right now I'm searchin fer nice fonts to go with this extra nice console resolution so more on that later I hope. I'm gettin more comfortable with workin in console and know what? I wrote all this usin ee in console, no X. :).

Oh, I remember that older FreeBSD version have the colorfull boot console with interactive startup etc. Very nice. I wonder if 5.2.1 can do that. The 5.2.1 console do have color but not as strikin and colorfull as the 4.x. Take note that if you want to change your console settings, make sure you read the vidcontrol manual page as this settings I've used might not work with your pc/laptop.

The new /etc/X11/XF86Config, /etc/rc.conf and /boot/loader.conf has been uploaded to my homepage. Still, there's lotsa redesignin that have to be done with the [FreeBSD & Me] section. Ouch, fergot to upload the VAMKERNEL kernel config file. I guess I have to simply edit the copy I have in the website.

No comments:

6.5 amd64: Modify existing certbot certificates.

Hi, It's been quite some time eh. As you can see, I still upgrade my OpenBSD system regularly but currently I do not have the time to ...