Friday, May 20, 2005

Graphic-enabled Links!

Hurrah! I finally found the solution to enable Links displayin graphic! Anyway currently I'm havin problem runnin graphic-enabled links from console. It seems like my generic VGA driver are capable of a few small resolution display, and usin my VESA driver keeps makin my FreeBSD displayin blank screen and freezes when I tried 800x600x256 mode (the only 800x600 mode fer my VESA driver). So everytime it freezes (I'm doin an intensive testin, so it freezes fer a gazillion times), the only way to escape is to hit [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [Delete] (quick reboot). I'm guessin that ***x***x256 (256 bit color) is the culprit here. I got no problem with graphic-mode links runnin in X though because it uses Xorg instead of svgalib.

I already have links and I don't know if it's graphic-enabled. So, to be sure, I deinstalled it. Then I sued, and go to /usr/ports/www/links where the file hides. This time, instead of just make (or make install clean, whatever you prefer), I type this:

vampire# make -DWITH_SVGALIB

so that the links port I'm about to install will have graphic capabilities compiled in. Then I install it.

vampire# make install clean

Dependencies resolved, no error, so the installation went fine. Now, accordin to The FreeBSD Console - Living without X (one of my fav FreeBSD related website.), I have to edit /usr/local/etc/vga/libvga.config and test out different configuration to get my graphic-enabled links run smoothly in console. No sample given so I was left out to figure it by meself. I tried a few configuration like uncommentin VESA driver, altering the monitor refresh rate to:

HorizSync 31.5 37.9
VertRefresh 50 90


with no result I can consider truly successfull. Don't get me wrong, I can get links to display graphics in console but the resolution is small. The biggest resolution I can get is 640x480x16 which leaves a surroundin blank space on the display when run. There's another mode fer 640x480 resolution which is usin 256 bit color but like I've mentioned above, I think that color mode is the culprit which made my console freeze. If only there's a 800x600x16 mode. More on this later hopefully. Do a man svgalib fer more info on svgalib.

On to links in X. Now usin xorg, this baby flies! man links tells me that issuin links web.site.url will open a text-mode links and links -g web.site.url will open up a graphic-enabled links. So I edit ~/.fluxbox/menu and put:

[exec] (Links-X) {links -g}

so that everytime I click on Links-X in my Fluxbox menu, a blank graphic-enabled links will run. links runnin in graphic mode still retain the same operation method like the text-mode links (usin keyboard fer navigation etc) and the only difference is pictures! I must say the images displayed in graphic-mode links is cool.

Another thing to remember, I have to su before I could use links -g in console because program that want to access svgalib must have root permission. There's a few way instead of suing just to use graphic-mode links, but because I still have to make the 800x600 resolution fer links work first, so I'm not goin to bother with it yet.

I'm still havin problem with my background. *sigh*. Later then.

p/s: Did anybody say screenshot?

No comments:

6.5 amd64: Modify existing certbot certificates.

Hi, It's been quite some time eh. As you can see, I still upgrade my OpenBSD system regularly but currently I do not have the time to ...