Monday, May 23, 2005

X screensaver?

Okay, on the the screensaver. Now Fluxbox is a minimalist window manager. No GUI configuration stuff, no screensaver module built-in. So how? Get xlockmore which basically a screen lockin program but has tons of screensavers coded with it. Now this baby lock your current X session and display your choice of prebuilt screensaver module (matrix, GL stuff etc.). So to make this xlockmore program to act like a real screensaver (automatic lockin on specific time), I got meself xautolock. This xautolock do just what the name implies, it'll automatically lock your X session after the period of time you specified. After a brief visit to xlockmore homepage and readin the man xlock (xlockmore is a continuation of xlock, so although the port is called xlockmore, the program is xlock.) and man xautolock, I found out that I need to edit ~/.xinitrc.

===== ~/.xinitrc starts =====

--- Fluxbox specific stuff snipped ---

# Loadin xautolock to use xlockmore
xautolock -time 5 -corners 000- -cornersize 20 -locker "xlock -enablesaver -lock delay 60 -mode matrix" &


--- more Fluxbox specific stuff snipped ---

===== ~/.xinitrc end =====


Now I have to put the & sign at the back of the xautolock .. line because it'll keep xautolock waitin until X loads all the variables/commands in ~/.xinitrc (includin Fluxbox window manager and all the slit I have.). Yours maybe different so better google fer it. Now let me explain what the commands mean.

Ehem. The line above is the same as sayin that:

xautolock will function in 5 minutes if my mouse pointer is not around the 20pixels square on the bottom-right of my screen usin xlock that enables normal screen blankin and will only lock the screen 60 seconds after the matrix screensaver are displayed.

I know the words above is quite ridiculous so you better check out man xlock and man xautolock. I also added a menu in Fluxbox fer me to lock my X session on the fly. I just edit ~/.fluxbox/menu and add:

[exec] (Lock Screen) {xlock -enablesaver -mode matrix}

I guess my laptop's monitor support DPMS feature (EnergyStar saving) and I open /etc/X11/xorg.conf and added:

# *******************************
# Monitor section
# *******************************

Section "Monitor"

--- other variables snipped ---

Option "DPMS"

EndSection


It might work or I might be wrong. Anyway nothin bad has happened after I test out the xautolock and xlock though, so I might be on the right side (^_^).

I'm thinkin bout uploadin my latest configuration files (/etc/rc.conf, ~/.xinitrc etc.) to my homepage soon. Later then.

No comments:

6.5 amd64: Modify existing certbot certificates.

Hi, It's been quite some time eh. As you can see, I still upgrade my OpenBSD system regularly but currently I do not have the time to ...