Tuesday, May 24, 2005

PcBSD - FreeBSD for desktop.

Yet another project derrived from FreeBSD OS. It's a FreeBSD based, uhm, project with an aim to make BSD more desktop-friendly. As written on the project's overview:

PC-BSD has as its goals to be an easy to install and use desktop OS, which is built on the FreeBSD operating system. To accomplish this, it currently has a graphical installation, which will enable even UNIX novices to easily install and get it running. It will also come with KDE pre-built, so that the desktop can be used immediately. Currently in development is a graphical software installation program, which will make installing pre-built software as easy as other popular operating systems.

I have a mixed feelin bout this. I'm happy because the potential of this project to make more desktop users migrate to the stable OS of BSD. On the other hand, I think it's somewhat a bit of a waste of resources. It's like seein the another fork of FreeBSD (eg: DragonflyBSD, not the same situation as this PcBSD project, I know.) where instead of concentratin on in tailorin FreeBSD fer whatever purpose they have in mind (desktop friendly etc.), they just break from it, make a new stuff out of it with a new style (independant package management etc.) and then what? We're goin to go the way linux is? Choices are good but too many of it (eg: the, *ehem*, gazillion of linux distros out there...) will surely (strictly in my personal opinion) make a mess. Anyway, this is just opinion. Fer me, my preference of an OS (desktop / server / whatever) is still the great FreeBSD. I don't need an "easier" BSD usin FreeBSD's technologies/stability to have fun with my desktop/laptop, FreeBSD is not that hard fer newbies nowadays (I am still a damn proud FreeBSD newbie) and if I wanted a tailored version of it, I'll tailor it to suit my need meself. Like I said, this is strictly my opinion and I know not many are with me on this.

I got nothin against DragonflyBSD, mind you. As far as I know, DragonflyBSD is doin great and that is good. But somehow it's sad to realise that most of the developers was FreeBSD developers and they breaks from it.

But hey, whatever the OS you're into, it's great as long as you're happy with it. That's what OS are fer anyway, makin sure you're havin fun with your computer(s). Later.

No comments:

6.5 amd64: Modify existing certbot certificates.

Hi, It's been quite some time eh. As you can see, I still upgrade my OpenBSD system regularly but currently I do not have the time to ...